Skip to main content

I picked Deputy who would run Kaduna competently, in the event I drop dead - Gov. El-Rufai




Nasir El-Rufai, Governor of Kaduna State, has disclosed that his choice of Dr Hadiza Balarabe, as his running mate in the forthcoming General Election, is a measure put in place to position the right person who would run the state more effectively and competently in the event that he drop dead.

He made this known while speaking as a Guest on Sunrise Daily, a programme on Channels Television on Friday.



According to him, the reason presidents and governors have deputies is in the event of “mortalities”. He said, “I think politics is a way to elect leaders that would deliver public good and what is important is not the religion of the person or his ethnicity but whether he can deliver and I am confident that Dr. Hadiza can deliver.

“I am 58 to 59 years old; I could drop dead. I have to pick someone in the event I drop dead, which can happen anytime. Can that person run the state competently? That was what determined my choice in 2015 and that determined my choice in 2019. Religion or ethnicity are at the back of my mind.”

Defending his choice of  Muslim-Muslim ticket for APC in Kaduna Gubernatorial election, he said, “ I am saying that the policy of allocating the deputy governor slot to a Christian in Kaduna State, which has been more or less the unstated policy since 1992, has not succeeded in advancing unity, integration of Christian and Muslim communities in Kaduna State.

Advertisement


“In fact, one of the worst rounds of violence we have had in the state was in 1992 exactly when Maggie was the first Christian deputy governor of Kaduna State.”

When asked whether the Muslim-Muslim ticket would make a difference, he said, “I do not know. I am ready to try. What I am saying is the Muslim-Christian ticket has not delivered on the promise, so what is wrong in trying something else?”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MMA is a disgrace to Nigeria, the designer is a traitor – Tunde Alabi-Hundeyin writes VP Osinbajo

Oredola Adeola|  Movie and Documentary producer, Tunde Alabi-Hundeyin Dudu, has exposed the level of rot at the Muritala Muhammed Airport, Lagos in an open letter written to Professor Yemi Osinbajo, Vice President. In the letter, the Documentary photographer, disclosed that the arrival system in Muritala Muhammed airport is a disgrace to Nigeria. He particularly noted that Nigeria has no aviation Minister, adding that whosoever designed the arrival system in MMA is a traitor. Tunde Alabi-Hundeyin He said, “Sir I’m directing my comments to you because I’m aware you toured that airport before the elections. They showed you the glittering lounges . However when you arrive in Nigeria or you go to receive someone arriving, it’s a horror story. It’s a total disgrace. Let me explain. “I had cause to go and welcome someone coming in from the US. We parked in the designated car park. Then the obstacles started. The path you have to trek to get to the front of the arrival hal...

2019 Hajj: Six Nigerian pilgrims die in Saudi Arabia

A middle aged woman, pilgrim from Lagos State, slumped and died in the early hours of Sunday morning in Mecca during the devil stoning ritual at Jamarat Aqaba, outside Mina, thereby bringing the number of Nigerian pilgrims that have died in this year’s Hajj in Saudi Arabia to six(6). The National Hajj Commission of Nigeria confirmed the death of the Nigerian pilgrims in Saudi Arabia . Dr Ibrahim Kana , Chairman, National Medical Team, released the figure in Madinah from the commission ’s National Medical Team Electronic Health Medical Records. The Commission had earlier said, “ So far , Nigeria has lost six pilgrims including four females and two males ; out of which one died in Madina while the remaining four died in the city of Makkah. “ They all died of various illnesses including heart and lung diseases. “ Records shows that so far in both Makkah and Madina , we have made 10,485 diagnoses with Makkah accounting for over 60 per cent. “ Additionally , 108 referrals wer...

Ajaokuta Steel plant up for sale again!

Oredola Adeola| The Federal Government through its ongoing privatisation programme has put Ajaokuta Steel Company up for sale. This was confirmed by Godwin Emefiele, Central Bank of Nigeria, Governor while briefing the Nigerian delegation at the end of the International Monetary Fund/ World Bank Group meetings in Bali, Indonesia on Sunday. The CBN Governor disclosed that the privatisation programme is coordinated by the National Council on Privatisation, while the Bureau of Public Enterprise (BPE) will be conducting a total review of the process of privatisation and payment for the steel industry to pave way for investors. He further stated that some of the country’s assets have been up for sale, under the ongoing privatisation programme, with the aim of raising more funds to finance the 2018 deficit-based budget.  Recall that work commenced on the steel plant in 1979 and over $10 billion is estimated to have been spent on it so far. A recent audit report revealed that...